Terms and Conditions Update FAQ - September 2009
This page provides information about changes to older Terms and Conditions. To see the latest terms go to our Terms and Conditions page.
We've recently emailed you to tell you about some changes to your Madasafish services.
Ofcom, the industry regulator, has issued a ruling about call charges which states that 0870 numbers should be charged at the same rate as calls to numbers starting 01, 02 and 03.
For Talk Anytime customers this means you'll get 0870 calls included at no extra charge (subject to a maximum call duration of 60 minutes, just like your other inclusive local and national calls (exclusions apply). For Talk Free customers you'll get 0870 calls included after 6pm on weekdays and all weekend.
Following guidance from Ofcom we're also reducing the notice required to end our service to 10 days for broadband and phone. This is currently 30 days.
Back in October last year we introduced a cessation charge which was passed onto us by our suppliers. This charge is only payable if you completely ceaseyour broadband service without using a recognised migration access process - so in most cases this doesn't need to be paid, as people tend to use a MAC code to migrate to another broadband supplier. Due to supplier price increases in May, we now need to increase this cessation charge fee, so it's changing from £20 to £25.
- When will these changes happen?
- Where can I see my new Terms and Conditions?
- Are 0870 calls included at all times for all products?
- Are all 0870 numbers included?
- How does the new notice period affect me?
- Why are you increasing the cessation charge?
- Are other suppliers increasing their charges too?
- Do any of these changes mean I can leave my contract without penalty?
- What charges do I have to pay if I cancel my broadband?
- I'm on an older product, but have recently signed up for another 12 months on a special offer, how am I affected?
- I'm moving house, how am I affected?
1. When will these changes happen?
All of these changes will be effective from 22nd October 2009.
3. Are 0870 calls included at all times for all products?
If you're a Talk Anytime customer, then 0870 calls will be included at all times (subject to standard charging rules, exceptions apply). If you're a Talk Free customer, you'll get 0870 calls in your inclusive call time. During the daytime these calls will now be treated the same as geographical calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers.
4. Are all 0870 numbers included?
Calls to indirect access numbers (like services that use a calling card, for example) and dial-up internet access are excluded.
5. How does the new notice period affect me?
The new notice period reduces the standard 30 day notice period to 10 days. This means if you are leaving our services in most cases you'll pay us less when you leave (a broadband migration typically completes inside 10 days).
6. Why are you increasing the cessation charge?
The cessation charge is applied by our suppliers whenever a broadband service is ceased without customers using a recognised migration access process. You can read more about this in Cancelling your broadband account.
The charge to Madasafish from our supplier was increased in May 2009, and we've absorbed the increased cost so far. However, we do need to pass these costs on where they apply in order to keep our prices competitive. Most customers don't pay this, as the majority of people who leave our service migrate to a new supplier with a migration code.
7. Are other suppliers increasing their charges too?
Some other suppliers pass on the cost of a cease directly to customers, and have been charging the higher cost for a few months now.
8. Do any of these changes mean I can leave my contract without penalty?
You'll be able to leave without penalty because of the change in cessation charge, as long as you do so within 30 days of receiving your notification in September 2009. If you've got any questions about this, then please call our Customer Options Team on 0845 140 6002. They're available Mon Fri 9:00am to 5:30pm.
9. What charges do I have to pay if I cancel my broadband?
If you leave Madasafish in your first 12 months after receiving a free set-up, router or house move, we will charge you for these when you leave. If you remain with Madasafish for 12 months after receiving a free set-up, router or house move the payment for these will be waived.
10. I'm on an older product, but have recently signed up for another 12 months on a special offer, how am I affected?
If your new offer included set-up, a router or a house move which you were not charged for and you stay with Madasafish for 12 months, we won't charge you for these if you leave.
11. I'm moving house, how am I affected?
When a customer moves house it costs us £65 to re-install the broadband, so if you move house and stay with us for 12 months after the move, we'll pay this for you, or if you would like more flexibility you can choose to pay this upfront.
This policy is subject to fair use, so if you're moving house several times in a year we may need to ask for a contribution to the cost.
If you're moving your Talk service, in most cases we'll cover the cost of this, but sometimes engineering work might be required, so in these instances we may need to charge.
Has this page helped you solve your problem? Your feedback helps us to improve the help we provide.
Please note: We cannot reply to individual feedback through Rate My Page. If you need more help with a problem please use Contact Us.