Use this troubleshooter to help identify and fix any Madasafish Talk faults without the need to contact our Support Team, here are a few simple checks you can carry out. This can not only help us identify the problem for you, but may even help you to solve the problem unaided.
Faults usually fall into one of these areas:
- I have no dial tone on my phone
- I receive poor quality and crackling sounds on my phone
- I am having problems with calls cutting off
- I am not receiving any calls
- My Free Voicemail service doesn't work
- I get an engaged tone on all my calls
- I can't make calls
I have no dial tone on my phone
- Firstly check your telephone handset isn't faulty. Unplug the phone from the socket and try a different phone in the same socket. If you are using any extension sockets, unplug all devices from them and test from the main socket itself.
- If you have done all trouble shooting and are still experiencing problems then there may be a problem with the wiring or phone socket, please contact Madasafish on 0844 395 0830 to investigate further.
I receive poor quality and crackling sounds on my phone
- Remove any extension cables and try to use another telephone (not a cordless phone) directly into your main telephone socket.
- If you have a cordless phone check that the batteries are fully charged.
- Make sure that all devices connected to your line have a microfilter attached. If you don't use microfilters this will create interference - which will affect the quality of your Madasafish Talk calls. If your equipment has a microfilter/s connected then try to replace them with new microfilter/s.
- Service problem on other number - If you get noisy/poor call quality when only ringing the same number it is likely that the other number has a service problem.
I am having problems with calls cutting off
- If this is happening on all incoming and outgoing calls, please try replacing your handset. If the problem still occurs, please contact Madasafish on 0844 395 0830 to investigate further.
I am not receiving any calls
- Make sure that you have the telephone bell or sounder switched on and turned up. Also make sure that the telephone is plugged in correctly.
- Phone placed on soft surface - Many telephones have the bell or sounder positioned on the telephone base. Make sure this is not placed on a soft surface which could effect the ring tone.
- REN value too high - Every telephone has a Ringing Equivalent Number (REN) - most have a REN rating of 1. (You'll see this by looking on the base of your phone). You can have a maximum number of 4 (adding the REN values of all your connected equipment together).
- Fax machines, answer machines and modems may have high REN values, so you should check what equipment you have connected. Overloading a telephone line may result in your telephone failing to ring when incoming calls are made. Try reducing your overall REN value by removing one or more connected items on your line.
My Free Voicemail service doesn't work
- Check that you have the service activated by dialling 1571 and following the spoken instructions. If you have done this and are still experiencing problems then please contact Madasafish.
I get an engaged tone on all my calls
- Try making a call using another telephone handset, make sure that you are or have tried using the main socket. If you still receive an engaged tone, please contact Madasafish.
I can't make calls
- Check the area code - Make sure that you are using the right code for the location of the call you want to make.
- Use an override code - Use the override code 141 before the number you want to dial.
- Check your phone and cables - Try unplugging all your equipment on the line (e.g. your telephone, PC's, modems, freeview or satellite boxes and any cables). Now plug your phone directly into your main telephone socket with nothing else attached. Do you get a dial tone? This way you can check whether the fault is with your cables or phone.
- If you have more than one phone in your premises make sure that all the handsets are on the hook.
- Service problems with the number you are ringing - There could be problems with this number, or you may just be trying to dial the wrong number, try dialling another number that you know works to see if you can make a successful call.
- Outgoing calls have been temporarily stopped - If you reach your credit limit or we can't take payment for your Madasafish Talk service, you'll be temporarily unable to make outgoing calls (apart from emergency 999 calls). In this circumstance we'll be in contact with you via email and tell you what you should do to start being able to make calls again.
- Phone switched to an unsuitable setting - Check your phone's manual to see if this is multi-frequency (MF or touchtone) dialling. Some Madasafish Talk calling features will only work if you have an MF or touchtone telephone.
Please check your phone socket to ensure it is in working order
- Do you hear a dial tone before dialling an outgoing call?
- Did you receive a dial tone after dialling (engaged, ringing tone or number unobtainable)?
- Does the problem happen all the time or just sometimes?
- Are calls cutting off?
- Are the calls faint?
- Is there background interference (high buzzing or crackling)?
- Can you hear other people's calls?
- Are you getting one way transmissions? i.e. you can hear the other person but they can't hear you or vice versa.
- Are you getting crossed lines? This is similar to overhearing other calls although you will be able to talk to all parties if the lines are crossed.
- Are you able to receive incoming calls from a land line telephone?
- Are you receiving incoming calls in error? i.e. calls destined for someone else?
Further basic troubleshooting
- Unplug all devices from all your phone sockets, including any microfilters.
- Test the main socket, which is usually located where the phone line enters your property, if this is successful, it's likely the problem is with one of the pieces of equipment attached to your phone line. To isolate this piece of equipment, plug in each piece in turn and try to make a phone call.
- If you are still experiencing problems with your main socket, and it has a horizontal bar across the front plate, please unscrew the lower half of the front plate and remove it. You will now see the test socket, which connects directly to your phone line without any extension wiring. If your phone is working when plugged into the test socket but not the main socket, the problem is most likely with your wiring. You can attempt to fix this wiring yourself or contact a technician.
- If there's still a problem with your test socket, or your phone does not have a test socket, then you can now be confident that it is in fact your line which is at fault. In this case, please contact Madasafish.
- If you are still having problems, there may be a fault with the supplier network. Please contact us on on 0844 395 0830 to investigate further.
Has this page helped you solve your problem? Your feedback helps us to improve the help we provide.
Please note: We cannot reply to individual feedback through Rate My Page. If you need more help with a problem please use Contact Us.